Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Boerne, TX


So this is what I thought everyone would say in Texas. "Howdy ya'll! " Nope. Its mainly, "hola, como esta" :) Oh and I though it would be warm here.... It snowed the day I got here. Ha what are the chances :D They're very low by the way, but I was happy! Texas welcomed me with snow.
 
It's been a while since I sent out an email but i hope everyone is doing great! Hi family :) I flew out on wednesday and it has been quite the trip since then.  I have had more crazy things happen then i've had in the past year! Mom unfortunately I don't think i should tell you about them ;) But I've also seen so many miracles.
The most powerful one was yesterday. We were supposed to have a gospel doctrine class with 2 investigators and a less active but thats not what happened at all! Instead it turned into a discussion with an investigator who committed to baptism for january 26th with a member present! Story time. So first Brother Miller came up to us and said he felt like he needed to come to this class for today so that was fine and we thought nothing of it. Then travis, an investigator who left during sacrament meeting to walk his dogs, usually comes back to class as he has the past four weeks, but yesterday he didn't. We thought that was a bummer. And then the less active had to go to nursery to take care of his kids so we were even more dissapointed. :/ Now it was just Bell (a nonmember), the missionaries and Brother Miller. As we were teaching her about jesus christ being our savior, Brother Miller shared an experience that made Bell start crying and the spirit was so strong. Our lesson went from just a little discussion, to a powerful lesson on the importance of this gospel! She began telling us that she had started to pray and that she was reading the book of mormon and she wanted to keep coming to church. We then invited her to baptism and she accepted! It was great. We then realized that if Travis had come back or the less active didn't go to nursery and Brother Miller wasn't there to share his experience she would not have accepted baptism. Yeah that was cool :) So this investigator is solid and I think she will be great to keep teaching. She is just so prepared!
 
As far as the mission goes everything is great! It is hard work that takes dilligence, faith and patience but it is paying off. I feel like I've been here a lifetime already but at the same time its already been 4 days! The ward is great and missionary minded. It is half spanish and half english so some weeks we have to translate for the spanish portion and we have a spanish priesthood class. So thats good. I'm glad it's not all english! I'm also glad its not all spanish! :P Oh and by the way, Spanish is totally different then what they taught us in the MTC haha! It's spoken so fast and so slurred. Especially with my companion. Ha what a ride :)
My companion is from paraguay named elder Pacheco Parede. He is a native and he speaks spanish so fast!!! It's kind of rediculous. He is so hard working and he listens to the spirit so well. It's good to have him as a companion. He's been out for a year and 4 months. He's actually been living in provo for the past four years too.
 
The mission president is exactly what I expected a mission president to be like :) He is strict, a powerful leader and speaker. But he is also funny, loves all the missionaries and is just a jovial fun person to be around. His family is great and it was so nice to have a good turkey dinner the night we arrived to the mission home.
Oh and President Jones (mission president) announced that President Holland will be here in San Antonio to talk to the youth in all the stakes but that he also wants to meet with all 192 missionaries this Friday. Ummmm ok :D So i'm pretty much in heaven.
 
This week I have learned about the power of Faith. I know I probably share this every week but I haven't really had a lot of time to study with traveling and training and all that. But faith really does have the power to move mountains. When Elder Pacheco and I have shown our faith through obedience and dilligence we have seen miracles. We have met people that have been in the perfect place to hear the gospel! Person after person after person seem like they have just been plopped right in front of us to teach.
Keep reading your scriptures. Pray, because our Heavenly father is there and he does answer prayers. This gospel is so true! And have a great week :)
 
Love, Elder Powell
 
P.S No Visa News yet And my address here is:
 
Elder Powell
125 cross point
apt 6204
Boerne, TX
78006
 
BYE :)

No comments:

Post a Comment